We recently discovered the delights of Moons Green Charcuterie who are hand-making the best British charcuterie we have yet tried. Based in East Sussex, John and Jose create every recipe, stuff every saucisson, grind their own spices, hand rub every cure into every pancetta, pork buttock, loin and bacon slab that Moons Green make. This is the true definition of artisan – hand made, using traditional methods with Sussex reared pork purchased directly from the farmer.
Their saucissons are dried for three months or longer, with natural casings and locally sourced herbs.
- The Wild Fennel Saucisson contains quatre epices, garlic, white peppercorns and some of the fennel seeds are sourced from a Sussex beach.
- Our favourite is the Wild Mushroom and Truffle Saucisson with ceps from France and truffle from Italy – absolutely delicious.
- Black Label Beer Sticks are perfect snack-sized saucissons with a whisper of garlic and a slow acting chilli. Ideal with a pint of local ale.
- Air dried Pork Collar is cured in red wine and fresh herbs and is truly delicious.
- Espresso Coffee Bacon – fantastic dry aged bacon with a hint of coffee – you won’t taste any better bacon.
We will have these available to taste this weekend, and they are also available as small saucissons or large and by the slice. Perfect for an English picnic, or a pre-supper snack.