Preparation – For Whole Birds and Crowns
As soon as possible after collecting your Golden Turkey®, remove all packaging and store in a cool place, preferably at the bottom of your fridge.
• Where applicable, remove the giblets and keep separately in a cool place.
• Remove the turkey from the fridge 2 hours before cooking, to allow to reach room temperature.
• If your turkey is trussed, it is best to remove the string before cooking.
• Do not stuff the main cavity, as this will stop the turkey cooking properly. Instead, you might like to place an apple or peeled onion in the cavity.
• We recommend not using foil as this can prevent achieving a lovely crispy skin.
• Place the giblets around the bird. Place the bird breast side down in the roast tin and season with salt and pepper. For crowns keep the breast up. The oven should be preheated to 180ºc (160º fan) Gas 4/5. For an Aga, use closest to these temperatures.(See table for suggested cooking times)
• Gravy always tastes better if the turkey giblets are used to make it.
• After an hour of cooking turn the bird carefully on to its back to further cook and brown the breast.
• It is very important not to overcook a turkey – many people do and are then disappointed when it is dry. This can be avoided by either using a ‘pop up’ timer (included with your turkey) or meat thermometer that detects when the turkey is cooked – you are looking to achieve a temperature of around 68 degrees pre-resting. Failing that test with a fork on the inside of the thigh – when the juices run clear the bird is ready.
• After removing the turkey from the oven and before carving it, allow it to rest for 30-60 minutes. Do not cover.
(See carving hints below).
Preparation for Breast Joints:
Remove from the fridge 2 hours before. You can spread butter over the roll and
Roast at 180º (160º fan).
Guideline Cooking Times – as ovens do vary!
Whole Birds & Crowns
4kg – 2 hrs
5kg – 2 – 2 ½ hrs
6kg – 2 ¼ – 2 ½ hrs
7kg – 2 ½ – 2 ¾ hrs
8kg – 2 ¾ – 3 hrs
9kg – 3 – 3 ¼ hrs
Check every 15 minutes after 3 hrs.
1kg – 1 hr
1.5kg – 1 ¼ hrs
2kg – 1 ½ hrs
Check every 15 minutes after 1 ½ hrs.
• Hold by the leg by the end knuckle, cut close to the body and twist off.
• Carve the dark leg meat.
• Remove the wing and cut in half.
• Slice the breast meat from side and repeat for the other side.