- 4 red onions
- 1 avocado
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 1 clove of garlic, finely diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh cold water
- Sea salt
- 1 spout top
- 1 big handful of purple sprouting broccoli
Winter Greens Salad & Zippy Avo Dressing
With Purple Sprouting Brocolli and Sprout tops just in from the fields in Titchfield, our veg supplier Boxxfresh have come up with this excellent recipe…
This is a delicious way to celebrate two of our favourite local winter veggies – purple spouting broccoli & sprout tops. Dark leafy greens paired with sweet roast red onions with a zesty, zippy avocado dressing!
Ingredients to serve 4 – 6 people as a main course or 7 – 8 people as a side dish.
1.Pre heat the oven to 180c / 350f /gas mark 4.
2. Top, tail and peel the onions, cut them in half then into wedges. Scatter them all onto a large roasting tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
3. Place the onions in the oven to roast for 35 minutes or until they are cooked through and caramelised around the edges. Once they are roasted, set them aside.
4. Meanwhile, make the dressing – scoop the avocado into a blender or food processor. Add the garlic, lemon juice, the remaining olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt. Blitz until super smooth.
5. The dressing will be quite thick at this point so add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, blending after each spoonful until you reach the desired consistency which should just pourable but not runny. Transfer the dressing to a bowl, cover and set aside.
6. Fill a large saucepan and place it a high heat and bring the water to the boil. Cut the sprout tops into quarters then cut each quarter in half creating 8 slim wedges. Set aside. Cut the purple sprouting broccoli in half and cut any fatter stems in half again, lengthways.
7. Plunge all the greens into the boiling water, cover with a lid for 3 minutes then drain them through a colander.
8. This salad can be served warm or cold – if you’re serving it cold, rinse the greens under cold water to chill them then scatter over a clean tea towel to absorb any excess water.
9. When you’re ready to serve, jumble the greens into bowl or a serving board, scatter over the roast red onions and dollop the dressing randomly over the top.
10. Place in the middle of the table with any remaining dressing in a side dish for everyone to help themselves.