Healthy and delicious, the combination of Venison and Rogan Josh works well and will keep you warm and comforted during these damp, dark evenings.
- 1 kg shoulder venison or leg
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 3 onions sliced
- 8 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2-3 cinnamon bark
- 2-3 whole bay leaves
- 1 tbs garlic & ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander ground
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 275 g plain yoghurt
- 6-8 vine tomatoes cut into quarters
- Salt to taste
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat ghee/oil in a heavy based pan and brown onions
- Add garlic and ginger paste, with all the spices, stir for a few seconds
- Add the meat and stir thoroughly to brown for about 5 -10 mins.
- Add yogurt tomatoes and coconut cream mix well.
- Add some water if needed and lower heat and put a lid on to simmer for approx. 1 hr. Keep checking from time to time to avoid mixture sticking to side. (If the yogurt starts to curdle, then simply add a sprinkle of plain flour and little water)
- When meat is cooked and oil has separated from the mixture then garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with rice or Indian bread.