Muntjac is one of the most delicious meats, being fine-textured, lean and mildly gamey, and the butterflied haunch is perfect for 6 people on the BBQ. The butterflied haunch can be treated like a large steak, seared on both sides and then rested for at least ten minutes, it should be served medium-rare. Make sure to start the chimichurri sauce early, and if possible, marinate the haunch overnight.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 whole muntjac haunch butterflied
- 3 large sprigs rosemary finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
Combine the chopped rosemary, garlic, olive oil and salt into a paste and cover the haunch, leaving to marinade for 2 hours or overnight. Light you BBQ and wait till the coals are white-hot, then grill for 6 minutes on either side or until internal temp is 57°C/135°F if you’re using a meat thermometer. Rest in foil for at least 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 small red chilies , or 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon seasalt
- Freshly ground pepper
Combine all the ingredients and let them rest for at least two hours, or refrigerate overnight.