Chalkstream trout fillets are healthy, sustainable and delicious, and we’ve been enjoying this particular recipe quite a bit recently. It’s a superb way of enjoying local trout and comes in my highly recommended list. You can use sushi rice, but it also works really well with soba noodles, both of which are available in the shop.
Seasoned Sushi Rice
- 200g short-grain sushi rice
- 1 tsp. sea salt, plus more
- 2Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1½ tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. red or white miso
- 2 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce (The Garlic Farm have an excellent one)
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, plus garnish
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Chalkstream Trout fillets
- Sea salt
- 3 Spring Onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Rinse rice several times with cold water in a colander until water runs clear. Drain well. Transfer to a small saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and 1¼ cups cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir rice once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until water is evaporated and rice is tender, 18–20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered for 10 minutes.
- Whisk vinegar, sugar, and remaining 1 tsp. salt in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir into rice and let sit (covered so it stays warm) until ready to use.
Whisk maple syrup, miso, tamari, vinegar, and ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes in a small bowl to combine.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. Season trout fillets with salt and place in frying pan skin side down. Cook, shaking occasionally until skin is very crisp and deep golden brown, 5 minutes. Turn trout and continue to cook just until very lightly browned on the flesh side (by this point it should be nearly cooked through), about 2 minutes longer. Pour off fat from pan. Reduce heat to low and add glaze; cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Baste trout with glaze and cook, basting occasionally, until glaze evenly coats fish, about 1 minute longer.
- Serve trout on top of rice. Drizzle with any leftover glaze. Top with spring onions, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes. Serve with lime wedges alongside for squeezing over.
Ideal with Purple Sprouting Broccoli that you blanch for two minutes, before stir frying in garlic, soy and chilli.