Rhubarb Ginger Compote
With new season’s rhubarb, this recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare and another 5-10 minutes to cook. It’s incredibly simple and the orange and ginger balance out the acidity of the rhubarb perfectly. Feel free to go heavy on the ginger if you are particularly fond of it, our stem ginger in syrup comes from Auntie Vals in Storrington, while our rhubarb is from Titchfield
- 750g rhubarb stalks
- 100g caster sugar
- Zest and juice of an orange
- 2 tbsps water
- 3 pieces of stem ginger in syrup, chopped with syrup
- Knob of butter
- Trim the rhubarb stalk ends and cut them into evenly sized chunks. Place in a pan with the caster sugar, orange zest, juice, water, butter, and ginger.
- Bring to the boil over medium – high heat and then simmer for 5 – 7 minutes until the rhubarb is soft but still retains its shape.
Leave to cool.
- Serve with ice cream or biscuits or both.