Our lamb merguez sausages are handmade by our butchers, with South Downs Lamb, cumin, cayenne, coriander, fennel, paprika, salt and pepper. They pack a spicy hit that complements the flavour of the lamb and makes a delicious sausage. This is a lovely, warming autumnal sausage that can be eaten on its own, but goes really well in this North African tomato-based dish.
Each pack contains five sausages (approx 450g).
Merguez Ragout with Poached Eggs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 pound merguez sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout,
- 1 teaspoon Spanish sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped coriander, stems included
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- warm crusty bread, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until golden. Toss in the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add the merguez and sauté until almost cooked through
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the Ras el Hanout, Spanish smoked paprika and salt. Stir to combine and cook for a minute to lightly toast the spices. Add the tomatoes. Turn up the heat to medium and cook until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs over the mixture, cover and cook until the whites set, but the yolks are still soft.
- Divide the eggs and ragout among four warm bowls using a large spoon. Top with a sprinkling of coriander and a teaspoon of Harissa.