Seasonal fruit is always a challenge: you wait all year for it and then all of a sudden you have a glut and wonder how many ways you can enjoy it. Eat them fresh, then when you are sated, preserve what you can, with jams, jellies, chutneys and competes, preserve in alcohol, and then using in imaginative recipes. Sliced fruit in salads go well, or roasted with ice cream. However, this salsa is a simple way to make use of any extra plums you have.
Spicy lamb merguez sausages work well with a sweet, tart, plum salsa, but it’s best to use firm, slightly underripe plums as their tart flavour and robust texture work better here.
- 3-4 plums, stone removed and diced
- ½ small red onion, finely minced
- Small handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- Small handful of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, halved, deseeded, and finely diced
- Juice & zest of a lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
Mix the ingredients together and let rest for at least 15 minutes, or overnight in the fridge.